Change Your Life

"I have been told that an adventure is part of a human's living spirit - the thrill comes from new experiences, encounters with different faces. I have finally conquered my thirst for adventure by coming to an exciting new place rich in culture. I now understand what students mean when they say studying abroad will change your life."
~Danielle Pramick

Friday, October 12, 2007

Book Review

I just finished reading a book that I recommend to all those who like travel. It's called The Sex Lives of Cannibals (it has nothing to do with the title really) and is by J. Maarten Troost, a guy who moves with his girlfriend to live on Kiribati in the equatorial Pacific. The book is so funny; I've laughed out loud reading it. It's a memoir and Troost just talks about all the mishaps and adventures that he experiences in the 2 years the he and his girlfriend live in Tarawa, an island that is in Kiribati. It's interesting to read about how life really is on an island in the equatorial pacific and just how things are pretty different. I think my favorite chapter was when he talked about their acquiring a handful of dogs and a cat and about how there are stray dogs everywhere and that he finally became immune to the American humane way of treating animals and would throw rocks at the to keep them away (not that I think the inhumane treatment of animals is funny, just his description of the events is). It's a pretty quick and easy read, so it's a good distraction from all the fun reading you get to do for class. Pick it up and start reading it-I promise you'll like it!

Posted by Jaime, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Spring 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment