Change Your Life

"I have been told that an adventure is part of a human's living spirit - the thrill comes from new experiences, encounters with different faces. I have finally conquered my thirst for adventure by coming to an exciting new place rich in culture. I now understand what students mean when they say studying abroad will change your life."
~Danielle Pramick

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Life in Shanghai-Myths and Reality

I know many students may be timid and have much anticipation when studying abroad in a foreign country. Especially a country that does not speak their native language, which for most students happens to be English. I studied abroad in Shanghai, China this past Summer 2007- and had probably the most misguided views anyone could have on a country. Coming from New York City, I had heard many of the horror stories about going to a communist country so far away and so different in culture. However, all my erroneous beliefs were ended when I arrived in Pudong airport. The general assumption of China is that no one will speak English, it is a rural country that isn’t very advanced, and it does not compare in any way to the modernization of the United States or other European countries. Well, if you have had any anticipation about studying abroad in China, I am here to tell you that it was one of the best experiences if not the best experience of my life. Shanghai is the closest comparison I have ever encountered to New York City. It is a high tech, face-paced, extremely modern city that is continuously growing from day to day. Many people speak English, certainly at all tourist locations, and I was surprised to find so many foreigners there (mostly business men and women) working in Shanghai for their international companies. There were many westerns studying in universities nearby to mine, and also many Europeans doing exchange programs in my apartment building. The real estate is booming, and nightlife is much like that of New York City. I would go as far to say that Shanghai might be if not equally, possibly even more efficient and technologically advanced than New York City. People are always on the go, and it can basically be compared to any major city in the United States excepted cheaper. So if you are considering studying abroad (especially in a non-English speaking country), and are unsure of how you might adapt to that experience, think it over and give it a chance. It might be the best and most adventurous experience of your life. Don’t be fooled by the common misconception of a country before researching it.

Posted by Alison L, Shanghai, China, Summer 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment