Change Your Life

"I have been told that an adventure is part of a human's living spirit - the thrill comes from new experiences, encounters with different faces. I have finally conquered my thirst for adventure by coming to an exciting new place rich in culture. I now understand what students mean when they say studying abroad will change your life."
~Danielle Pramick

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Study Abroad: Australia

Almost every peer advising session, usually between doing homework and counting the Lonely Planet books, one or more students come in wanting to know more about studying abroad in Australia. I cringe. It's nothing against Australia. I'd love to go there someday and it looks/sounds like an amazing country to visit. But the fact is, that studying abroad in Australia is usually done as a vacation, not a once in a lifetime experience. I want redirect there attention to somewhere less conventional. I want to tell them that although Australia sounds fun, they will gain more out of a less interchangeable culture. I want to tell them I've never been to Africa so you have to go for me. But then I'm left with the question: What if Australia is that ultimate new and life-altering place for them? Everybody is different, maybe Australia is where they will learn and grow the most.

I've found that peer advising the "Australia situation" is like walking a fine line. I answer their questions and help them with whatever it is I can relating to Australia, but I also ask why they want to go. Usually that can open the conversation up to other locations offered abroad. It is the best I can do to withhold my bias. I don't want to steer them away, because that is not what peer advisers are here for, but I do make sure they know there are other options.

If all goes well they leave with information on Australia as well as stacks of paper about many other, less conventional places; and I move on to playing with the Glimpse magazines.

Posted by Ian, Salvador, Brazil, Summer 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment