Change Your Life

"I have been told that an adventure is part of a human's living spirit - the thrill comes from new experiences, encounters with different faces. I have finally conquered my thirst for adventure by coming to an exciting new place rich in culture. I now understand what students mean when they say studying abroad will change your life."
~Danielle Pramick

Monday, December 10, 2007

Study Abroad with Friends?

Recently, I encountered students interested in studying abroad together in the same program, even if they both have different interests and are seeking to gain differing experiences during their time abroad. I handled the situation by asking them about their majors and if they wanted to continue taking classes abroad related to their majors. I also asked them preferences about where they would want to travel during their time abroad and tried to highlight certain programs based on their interest of travel. They seemed very set on studying together, and it was hard to accommodate both of their needs into one specific program. I let them know that studying abroad really brings people together and bonds the members of the program, so even if they did study by themselves, they would meet new people easily and make new friends in the program. I was able to recommend certain programs to them, some of the programs being different from each other and others being the same. I wanted them to definitely consider the option of studying on their own and learning to be independent and meet new people, but I also kept in mind that they were interested in studying with each other. In the end, I think I opened their eyes to the possibility of them seeking different programs, because based on their majors, traveling preferences, and other interests, they did desire diverse experiences. However, we did find several programs within Europe that did fit many of both of their interests. Hopefully based on their preferences for their study abroad experience, they will find programs that will help them gain the most out of their time abroad.
The reason why I was interested in this issue was because when I decided to study abroad in Rome, it was my first time being completely on my own without any other familiar friends or family with me. It was at first an overwhelming experience, because I knew that I didn't have anyone to fall back on right away, but after a few weeks of transitioning into the culture and meeting new people, I felt very comfortable with being by myself and knowing that I could rely on the new friends I was making. I became a lot more independent from my time abroad, which was an eye-opening experience for me.

Posted by Jill, Rome, Italy, Spring 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment