Change Your Life

"I have been told that an adventure is part of a human's living spirit - the thrill comes from new experiences, encounters with different faces. I have finally conquered my thirst for adventure by coming to an exciting new place rich in culture. I now understand what students mean when they say studying abroad will change your life."
~Danielle Pramick

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Euro Techno...Music

While in Dublin, Ireland this past fall semester, I developed a fondness for European techno-esque music. I know what you're thinking: how could I?! Well, I could, and I did, but it was a slow, sneaky, and gradual process. It started when I purchased my "mobile" at the Vodafone store on Grafton Street. I walked in and asked for the least expensive phone available, much to the chagrin of the salesman helping. He indicated a mobile on the wall, and explained that it's only defining feature were the ten AM/FM radio presets. I said I'd take it.

My mobile FM radio presets became my constant companion (seeing as I am probably one of the last students in existence without an ipod): I listened to the local Dublin stations on my way to class (a 20 minute walk from my host family's house), I listened to the radio while riding the Dublin Bus into the city centre, and I listened to the radio while I jumped on my 9-year old host brother's monster trampoline. So, while I had always claimed an aversion to techno music, I found myself rather enjoying some of the Top 40 techno singles; many of them were perfect for setting a brisk walking pace, which in turn ensured that I arrived at class in time. Below I have listed a few of my favorite songs to walk to, sing to, and (sort of) move to. Along with addictive beats, these techno singles have some entertaining music videos...

"Let me think about it," by Fedde Le Grand and Ida Corr


"Freaks," by The Creeps


"Like this like that," by SE:SA


"Love is gone," by David Guetta


"San Diego Song," by The Coronas (this one is not so much techno, but it is a local Dublin band's first single, and it was just getting air-time while I was in Dublin, and it grew on me)


I hope you enjoy these songs/music videos as much as I do!

~Jessie, Dublin, Ireland, Fall 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment